Alabama Child Support Enforcement | How to file a complaint

Alabama Child Support Enforcement | How to file a complaint



By Staff – Last updated

In order to enforce child support payments in Alabama due, a parent can contact the Department of Human Services. They may be able to find the the other person and, if necessary, automatically deduct funds from their paycheck on a weekly/biweekly/monthly basis.

How to File a Complaint

In Alabama, a parent must pay child support in accordance with the child support order issued by the court of original jurisdiction.  Child support orders are enforced across state lines by the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.  Payments must be made in accordance with the order that was either issued or agreed upon by both parents.

Payment is typically made on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis and if a payment has been missed by over thirty (30) days the parent may file a Child Support Request Form. This will allow the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Alabama Department of Human Services (CSED) to evaluate your complaint and contact the other parent.

How to Fill-in

Step 1Download the form (Adobe PDF).

Step 2 – In the header enter the:

  • Date
  • Full Name
  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Address
  • Telephone Number (Home and Work)
  • Non-Custodial’s Name

Step 3 – Below the dotted line enter what you are requesting which is either: Enforcement (include the last check/payment you have received), history of all payments made, or want to know something other than the previous two (2) requests.

Step 4 – The form then must be sent to the County Office of where you reside and is the location where your case will be serviced.

What the CSED Can Do

If the non-custodial parent is not making making payments on-time then the State can do the following in order to retrieve the funds and put the individual in a place that would motivate them to do so:

  1. Wage Garnishments – The State will contact the employer of the person and automatically deduct the amount every week from their paycheck in order to satisfy their child support obligation.
  2. License(s) – The State may obtain their professional or State driver’s license(s) in order to get their attention in order to pay.
  3. $5000+ – If the parent owed more than five-thousand dollars ($5,000) then the State may suspend their right to leave the country by revoking their passport.
  4. Lien(s) – If the noncustodial parent owns property such as a home or automobile the State may put a lien that would make it so upon a sale the first monies would have to satisfy the child support debt.

Any of the above penalties/restrictions by the noncustodial parent are lifted immediately when the payment/debt of the child support to the custodial parent is satisfied.

Contact the CSED

  • Email –
  • Fax – 1(334) 242-0606
  • Mailing Address – Alabama Department of Human Resources, Child Support Enforcement Division, PO Box 304000, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-4000
  • Phone Number – 1(334) 242-9300

 How to Video