South Dakota Child Support Enforcement

South Dakota Child Support Enforcement

By Staff – Last updated

In order to enforce child support payments in South Dakota a parent who is not receiving child support payments as ordered by the court, may seek assistance from the Division of Child Support. DCS may be able to help get in touch with the parent who is not making the payments as directed and, if found to be guilty of non-payment, direct that funds be deducted funds from their wages so that the funds are automatically received.

How to File a Complaint

In South Dakota, parents must pay child support in accordance with the child support order as issued by the court of original jurisdiction, even if the court order is from an out of state court, until the child support order is modified or terminated. Child support orders are enforced across state lines by the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

In order to apply for services, an applicant must first fill out an application completely and accurately and then send it to the following address with the requisite fees:

Division of Child Support
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501

How to Fill-in

Step 1Download the form (Adobe PDF).

Download (PDF, 609KB)

Step 2: Read the instructions and agreement and check off the services you need provided.

Step 3: On page 8 enter the following information about yourself:

  • Legal Name
  • Maiden Name
  • Residential Address
  • Phone Numbers
  • Mailing Address (if different than above)
  • Employer Name and Address
  • Employer Telephone Number
  • May we contact you at work?
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Sex
  • State of Birth
  • Ethnicity
  • Select one or more Race
  • Have you received TANF in another state?
  • Have you received child support services in another state?
  • Do you have an open child support case in another state?
  • Please provide the following information about a close friend or relative who will always be able to get in touch with you if we are unable to reach you.

Step 4: Enter the following information about each child:

  • Name
  • Sex
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Place of Conception (State)
  • Place of Birth (City/State)
  • Ethnicity (Optional)
  • Select one or more Race (Optional)
  • Was the child born during marriage of the mother and father?
  • If no, was an Acknowledgment of Paternity or Paternity Affidavit completed?
  • If yes, please provide a copy and indicate what State the acknowledgment/affidavit was filed in?
  • Was the child adopted by the mother or father?
  • If yes, please provide date of adoption. (Attach copy of order)
  • Your relationship to the child
  • Does the child reside in your household?

Step 5: Enter the following information about the non-custodial parent:

  • Name
  • Maiden Name (if applicable)
  • Alias, Nickname or other names
  • Phone Numbers
  • Residential Address
  • Mailing Address
  • Is the address current?
  • Has the noncustodial parent lived in SD?
  • List other states the noncustodial parent has resided in
  • Was he/she ever in jail or prison?
  • Date of Birth
  • If date of birth unknown, please provide approximate age
  • Social Security Number
  • Sex
  • Ethnicity
  • Select one or more Race
  • Is he/she in the Military Service?
  • If yes, what branch?
  • National Guards?
  • Does he/she receive any monthly military or veteran’s benefits?
  • If yes, explain
  • Place of Birth
  • Eye Color
  • Height
  • Hair Color
  • Weight
  • Any distinguishing features
  • What are the names/addresses of the parents of this noncustodial parent?
  • Name/Address/Telephone Number of friends that may know his/her address
  • Mother’s Maiden Name (important when SSN unknown)
  • Does he/she pay child support in another state?
  • Name and address of current or past employer
  • Employer Telephone Number
  • Is this a current employer?
  • If no, when did he/she last work there?
  • What is his/her usual occupation?
  • Name and Address of Financial Institution of noncustodial parent
  • Account Number
  • Sources and amounts of Income

Step 6: Enter the following information about health insurance:

  • Do any of the child(ren) receive medical assistance (Medicaid or Title 19) or CHIP?
  • If yes, please list those child(ren)
  • Does either parent have private health insurance for the child(ren)?
  • If yes, please list the child(ren) that have private health insurance coverage and attach a copy of the insurance card or verification of insurance.
  • Name of Child Covered
  • Insurance Coverage
  • Start Date
  • End Date
  • Name and Address of Insurance Co
  • Name of Policy Holder
  • Policy #
  • Group #
  • Type of Insurance
  • Monthly Cost for the Insurance
  • Total Number of persons covered under this policy
  • Monthly Cost of Insurance for single (self only) coverage:
  • Does the child(ren) have Indian Health Service (IHS) coverage?
  • If yes, what is the Tribal ID #?

Step 7: Enter relationship between the applicant and non custodial parent,

Step 8: Enter information about court orders and attorneys involved.

Step 9: Read and sign requirements for cooperation

Step 10: If needed, fill out the paternity affidavit

Step 11: Fill in your financial information

Step 12: Sign affidavit of arrearages if needed.

What DCS Can Do

DCS can take a number of steps to assist a parent with obtaining child support from the other parent.  DCS can help locate a parent, garnish wages, suspend licenses – including driving, recreational and occupational licenses.

Contact DCS

Child Support

Division of Child Support
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 605.773.3641
Fax: 605.773.7295