Washington Child Support Enforcement

Washington Child Support Enforcement

By Child-Support.com Staff – Last updated

In order to enforce child support payments in the state of Washington, a custodial parent who is not receiving monies owed from the non-custodial parent, may be able to contact the Washington Division of Child Support (DCS) to get assistance.  DCS may be able to help locate the other parent if contact has been lost and arrange to have any arrears paid through wage garnishment, imposition of liens, or other enforcement measures. For ongoing payments, DCS may be able to set up payroll deductions to ensure that payments continue to be made.

How to File a Complaint

In Washington, a parent must pay child support as set forth in a valid child support order, even if the child support order was issued in another state. Child support orders can be enforced across state lines because of the passage of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

In order to apply for child support services in Washington, a custodial parent must contact the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Division of Child Support. There are multiple ways to make contact online, through email, or traditional mail to find assistance in establishing or enforcing a court ordered Child Support payment.

Information that will be required

There will be list of information pertaining to both parents needed to take any action in child support enforcement. The process will be made easier if you have the following information readily available.

Your name, address, telephone number and social security number.

The name of the non-custodial parent

Your bank information so you can receive payments electronically.

The following information about both the father and mother:

  • Name
  • Other Names Used
  • P.O. Box or Street Address
  • Phone numbers
  • Email address
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Race
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Hair Color
  • Eye Color
  • Native Language (If correspondence needed in other than English)
  • Tribal Affiliation (if applicable)
  • Last-Known Employer’s Name
  • Employer’s P.O. Box or Street Address
  • Employer’s Telephone Number
  • Parent’s Father’s Name
  • Parent’s Mother’s Maiden Name

With whom the children currently reside.

The following information about the (each) child:

  • Child’s Name (First/Middle/Last)
  • Sex
  • Social Security Number
  • Did the father sign a paternity
  • Tribal Affiliation if applicable
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Did the mother become pregnant with this child in Washington State?
  • Is there a support order for this child?

Marital information and public support information.

Dates and amounts of child support payments made, if any.

You may be required to submit further information or documentation as it pertains to each individual case.

What DCS Can DO

DCS can take a number of actions in order to enforce an existing child support obligation including but not limited to the following:

  • wage withholding
  • tax refund intercept
  • lottery intercept
  • license suspension
  • liens against property

Contact Washing State DCS

Division of Child Support
Central Services
P.O. Box 11520
Tacoma, Washington 98411-5520

1-800-442-KIDS (5437)